Nollywood film-maker and producer, Olajide Kareem, aka Seun Egbegbe, has regained his freedom after spending roughly three years and six months in prison.
He was incarcerated on February 10, 2017 after obtaining money by false pretences from no fewer than 40 bureau de change operators in different parts of Lagos from 2015 to 2017.
Egbegbe who was the boss of Ebony Production allegedly swindled the BDC operators out of the money by claiming that he had naira to change into foreign currencies and vice versa.
He had been arraigned by the police for a series of fraud involving N39,098,100, $90,000 and £12,550.
Egbegbe and one Oyekan Ayomide were first arraigned on February 10, 2017, before Justice Oluremi Oguntoyinbo, on 36 counts bordering on advance fee fraud.
The charge sheet was subsequently amended twice, with the counts eventually increased to 40 and three other defendants – Lawal Kareem, Olalekan Yusuf and Muyideen Shoyombo – added.
The prosecuting counsel for the police, Innocent Anyigor, said Egbegbe and the other defendants acted contrary to Section 8 of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act 2006 and were liable to be punished under Section 1(3) of the same Act.
But now the Federal High Court, Ikoyi Lagos after reviewing his case has found Egbegbe; guilty of just one of the 44 Counts charges against him.
Egbegbe was set free yesterday 11th October 2022.
Justice Oluremi Oguntoyinbo declared that 43 of the 44 Count charges were crumbled because of lack of witnesses to substantiate their claims.
She also decried that the prosecuting team failed in the responsibility to produce evidence, to be backed with witnesses on Counts 4, 19 and 21.
Lamenting that police tampered with the money recovered from the suspects, Justice Oguntoyinbo also ruled that all the money recovered from Egbegbe as evidence should be returned to him.
Breaking News: Baba Ijesha Bags 16 -Yrs Jail Term Over Child Molestation
An Ikeja Special Offences Court has convicted the embattled Nollywood actor, Olanrewaju James, alias Baba Ijesha, of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old minor and sentenced to 16years in prison.
Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo, in a two-hour judgement on Thursday, convicted Baba Ijesha of indecent treatment of a child, sexual assault and attempted sexual assault
Taiwo, however, discharged and acquitted him of count one and count six, which were: sexual assault by penetration and attempted sexual assault by penetration.
Baba Ijesha knows fate tomorrow as court set to deliver judgement on alleged sexual offence
Embattled Nollywood actor, Olanrewaju Omiyinka James, also known as Baba Ijesha will tomorrow know his fate over the sexual assault and defilement allegations leveled against him.
He was accused of sexually molesting an adopted daughter of another colleague, Damilola Adekoya, also known as Princess.
He was charged with indecent treatment of a child, defilement of a child, sexual assault by penetration, attempted sexual assault by penetration and sexual assault – which contravenes Sections 135, 137, 261, 202, 262 and 263 of the Lagos State Criminal Law 2015.
The case is before Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo of the Special and Sexual Offences Court of the Lagos State High Court, Ikeja.
He denied the allegations, but a video detailing his relationship with the girl said to be a minor was played in court.
The defendant said it was acting, following what the complainant claimed was to catch him in action.
In his defence, Baba Ijesha claimed he was romantically involved with Princess.
He also said the act captured by the CCTV were scenes for a movie.
The incident drew lots of reactions from the Yoruba movie industry, as it pitched stakeholders against one another.
Princess and Iyabo Ojo, another Nollywood actor were in the forefront of the battle to convict Baba Ijesha.
The involvement of another actor Yomi Fabiyi caused more commotion which threatened the industry.
Nkechi Blessing drew the ire of the association of Yoruba movie producer, which threatened to ban her from the association. She however called off their bluff, specifically calling out another veteran actor, Jide Kosoko.
Princess on her part also called out another veteran actress, Idowu Philips alias Mama Rainbow and accused her of not being forthright over the incident.
All this will rest once the judgement is delivered either against or in favour of Baba Ijesha who is being represented by not less than two Senior Advocates of Nigeria, Babatunde Ogala and Dada Awosika.
Mo Abudu allegedly mismanages Netflix’s funds
Nigerian filmmaker and business mogul, Mosunmola Abudu better known as Mo Abudu is reportedly in trouble with Netflix.
According to Cutie Julls, Mo Abudu and Kunle Afolayan were prepaid huge sums to produce Nigerian movies that will attract a worldwide audiences and not just a Nigerian audiences.
However, due to alleged mismanagement of funds from Mo Abudu’s end, Netflix is now permanently moving to South Africa, where the hub would be based.
“Aunty Mo, wetin you do wey Netflix start to dey lose interest? Heard you and Uncle Kunle Afolayan were prepaid huge sums to produce Nigerian movies that will attract worldwide audience and not just Nigerian Audience. Even if not the whole 7 continents at least you could have stretched beyond West Africa. I think even Kemi tried with the Return of the King of The Boys than most of Aunty Mo’s Netflix standard produced movie.
Aunty Mo, so you collect this huge amount of money to produce 6 movies, and what happened? Like when I heard the least amount to produce one movie for Netflix, Omo I commot cap for you o. You don enrich yourself well well. But that’s not the point cuz business is meant to be profitable even if your profit margin huuuuuuuuge. But Aunty Mo, the goal of Netflix was to push Nigerian movies out there just like how the musicians like Burna, David, Wiz, Rema, Tems, Tiwa etc are pushing Nigerian music out there but my aunty greedily and selfishly spoil am. Now Netflix wan Japa to SA even if to cast Nigerian actors. The hub will be SA”.
Recall that Mo Abudu’s latest blockbuster movie, ‘Blood Sisters’, which trended on social media barely a few hours after its release.
The movie which did not only capture the local audience but also the international viewers was released on Thursday, 5th and just a few hours after its launch, the movie began to trend globally with various reactions.
Mo Abudu who produced the highly-rated crime thriller, took to her handle to share a screenshot of how her movie was trending on Twitter, revealing that they set out to make a ‘local show for a global audience and they were beginning to see this become a reality just one day after launch.
AY Makun releases beautiful photo of his daughters ahead of his 14th wedding anniversary
Nigerians headbutt Uche Maduagwu over his vile as Rita Dominic’s white wedding photos flood social media
Chacha Eke reunites with husband, Austin Ikechukwu
‘Peregun!’ Aliu Oladele Gafar redefines movie making with multiple award winning feature (Video, Photos)
Babatunde Omidina, Baba Suwe, is dead
Femi Otedola and Wife, Nana, Pay Surprise Visit To Daughter On Movie Set (PHOTOS)
News4 weeks ago
Davido went ‘mad and wanted to run into the streets’ after hearing son’s death
Uncategorized4 weeks ago
Police grill Davido’s domestic workers over son’s death
celebrities4 weeks ago
Ifeanyi Adeleke: Ifa priestess suggests posible cause of death of Davido, Chioma’s son
celebrities4 weeks ago
“There’s still a second part to the prophecy” – Pastor who predicted Davido’s son, Ifeanyi’s death in a Facebook post in January speaks (Video)
Lifestyle4 weeks ago
I thought we were made in heaven, Damasus speaks on crashed marriage with Ademinokan
News2 weeks ago
Breaking News: Popular Yoruba actor is dead (Photos)
celebrities4 weeks ago
Drama as BBN besties Liquorose and Maria unfollow each other on Instagram
Reviews3 weeks ago
Ẹlẹ́ṣin Ọba, the King’s Horseman