Connect with us

Breaking News

Breaking: Veteran actor Ogogo dies at 66

Published

on

Taiwo Hassan

LAGOS, Nigeria, Sunday, 23 August 2026: Veteran Nollywood actor and filmmaker Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, has died at the age of 66 after a battle with stage-four cancer, with his daughter Kira Taiwo confirming the devastating news during an emotional Instagram Live session on Sunday.

The exact location of Hassan’s death had not been publicly disclosed at the time of filing, but multiple Nigerian news organisations independently reported his death on Sunday, bringing to a painful end several days of uncertainty surrounding the respected Yoruba actor’s health.

In the emotional live broadcast, Kira Taiwo struggled to come to terms with the news and repeatedly said, “My daddy is dead.” She also appealed for relatives to be contacted as the reality of the loss appeared to sink in.

The confirmation that Ogogo dies at 66 came only five days after his family had been forced to deny an earlier wave of reports claiming that the actor had died.

Advertisement

On 18 August, Lima Taiwo, another of Hassan’s daughters, strongly dismissed the earlier reports as false, telling members of the public to stop circulating what the family described at the time as fake news.

That denial came while the family was already facing an increasingly difficult medical crisis.

Lima Taiwo and Kira Taiwo had disclosed a day earlier that their father was battling stage-four cancer and appealed publicly for medical expertise capable of helping him.

According to the family, the seriousness of the condition had become apparent only about three weeks earlier. The cancer was said to have affected Hassan’s abdomen, while his daughters said some medical institutions had concluded that further chemotherapy could no longer be administered.

The family’s appeal drew a significant response from colleagues, medical professionals and members of the public.

Advertisement

Veteran actor Jide Kosoko subsequently said hundreds of people had contacted the family with possible medical, traditional and spiritual interventions. Reports placed the number of approaches at more than 300, with Kosoko suggesting it may have exceeded 500.

Kosoko, however, cautioned that the challenge was no longer a lack of offers but determining which intervention was medically appropriate while Hassan remained under hospital care.

“We have received hundreds of such offers, and we sincerely appreciate every single one of them,” Kosoko said while giving an update on the actor’s condition.

The public discussion around Hassan’s illness also prompted medical professionals to caution against interpreting the family’s distress as evidence that hospitals had simply abandoned the actor.

Medical doctor Olusina Ajidahun explained that patients with advanced cancer may be moved towards palliative care when chemotherapy or other treatment options are no longer considered suitable. He warned that describing such circumstances merely as hospitals refusing treatment could give a misleading picture of the medical decisions involved.

Advertisement

Hassan’s death closes a remarkable chapter in Yoruba-language cinema spanning more than four decades.

Born on 31 October 1959 in Ilaro, Ogun State, Hassan began acting professionally in 1981 while also working as an automobile mechanic with the water corporation. He remained in that job for about 13 years before leaving government employment in 1994 to concentrate fully on acting.

His screen name, Ogogo, came from his family’s oríkì rather than being a nickname created for the entertainment industry. Over the years, the name became inseparable from a screen persona built around strong delivery, cultural authenticity and characters often grounded in the moral complexities of Yoruba society.

Beyond acting, Hassan worked as a producer, director and screenwriter and became one of the enduring faces of the Yoruba film industry through the transition from stage performances to home video and the modern Nollywood era.

His career had not been without serious health challenges.

Advertisement

In 2025, Hassan publicly recalled a prolonged struggle with chronic ulcer, saying there was a period during the illness when he vomited blood for months, became severely weakened and could consume little beyond pap. His eventual recovery added another layer to the resilience for which many admirers came to know him.

Years earlier, Hassan had also reflected on surviving another major health scare at a time when some people around him feared he might not recover. He subsequently returned to acting and music, describing his recovery as an opportunity to show gratitude to those who stood by him.

The final days of the actor’s life unfolded unusually in public.

Only days before his death, his daughters’ emotional appeals placed his battle with cancer before millions of Nigerians, triggering an outpouring of concern, prayers and offers of assistance. The premature death report that followed was swiftly rejected by the family, making Sunday’s eventual confirmation particularly poignant.

On Saturday, Kira Taiwo had also spoken emotionally about some people allegedly seeking substantial sums of money from the family while presenting possible treatments, even as others offered assistance in good faith.

Advertisement

For an actor whose career stretched from the formative years of modern Yoruba theatre and film to the streaming age, Hassan leaves behind a body of work and an unmistakable screen identity that helped shape generations of indigenous Nigerian filmmaking.

His death at 66 is likely to resonate far beyond the Yoruba movie industry, particularly among audiences who watched Ogogo evolve from a rising stage and screen performer into one of the recognisable elder figures of Nollywood.

Further details from Hassan’s family concerning funeral arrangements had yet to be announced at the time of filing.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

Tope Osoba: Family delays actress’ burial indefinitely

Published

on

Tope Osoba

Tope Osoba burial has been postponed until further notice as her family finalises arrangements following a candlelight and artists’ night in her honour (more…)

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Top Yoruba stars absent at Temitope Osoba tribute

Published

on

Temitope Osoba

Several Yoruba Nollywood stars were absent from Temitope Osoba tribute in Lagos as colleagues gathered to honour the late actress (more…)

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Friends Announce Candlelight Tribute for Nollywood Actress Temitope Osoba

Published

on

Actress Temitope

Temitope Osoba Tribute Night will honour the late Nollywood actress with music, memories and a candlelight gathering in Lagos on August 11 (more…)

Continue Reading

Trending