Connect with us

Entertainment

Mr Ibu’s son, daughter arrested for alleged theft of N55m donations

Published

on

The Nigeria Police Force on Thursday said it had arrested a son and adopted daughter of Mr. John Okafor, popularly known as Mr. Ibu, for allegedly stealing the ailing actor’s N50m being proceeds of donations to cater to the thespian’s ailing health.

The Force, through its Force Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Alagbon, in Ikoyi, Lagos State, said the duo of Onyeabuchi Okafor and Jasmine Okekeagwu, allegedly conspired to commit the crime.

The family of the ailing thespian revealed in October 2023 that the actor had undergone five surgeries, seeking further treatment abroad while appreciating donations from the actor’s fans.

However, the FCID, in a statement signed by its Public Relations Officer, Mayegun Amina, on Thursday, said the arrest followed a petition received from Diamond Waves Law on behalf of the actor’s wife, Stella Okafor, alleging that two sons of Mr. Ibu conspired with his adopted daughter, Jasmine, to defraud their father.

Advertisement

The Force disclosed that investigations showed that the thespian’s phone was hacked by the suspects to carry out the crime.

The statement read, “On September 6, 2023, a petition was received from Diamond Waves Law on behalf of Stella Maris Chinyere Okafor, wherein one Onyeabuchi Daniel Okafor and Valentine Okafor, both of whom are sons of Mr. John Ikechukwu Okafor (Alias Ibu) and Jasmine Chioma Okekeagwu, were alleged to have conspired to defraud Mr. Ibu while being on sick bed.

“Investigation into the case established that as part of efforts to fund his medical bills, Mr. Ibu launched a public fund-raising initiative and attracted donations from his fans, entertainment industry players, and other well-spirited members of the public into a bank account, which he publicised and dedicated for the purpose.

“Mr. Ibu’s wife, Mrs. Stella Maris Chinyere Okafor, was initially managing the funds to defray the medical bills of Mr. Ibu and sustain the family. However, along the line, the duo of Onyeabuchi Daniel Okafor and Jasmine Chioma Okekeagwu manipulated Mrs. Stella Maris Chinyere Okafor, took possession of Mr. Ibu’s phone, and hacked into the banking details therein.”

The police stated that the duo allegedly reinstalled the banking app on the phone belonging to the actor and transferred the sum of N55m from the donations for the actor’s medical bill with the intention of using the proceeds to travel abroad.

Advertisement

However, the Force also claimed that it had recovered a sum of N55m allegedly stolen from the actor’s account.

It stated, “They thereafter re-installed the mobile banking applications of Mr. Ibu on the phone of Onyeabuchi Daniel Okafor preparatory to the perfection of their preconceived fraudulent plans and wiped off the banking applications originally installed on Mr. Ibu’s phone, thereby taking direct and full charge of the banking activities of Mr. Ibu in relation to the funds being donated by members of the public in support of his medicals.

“Through this fraudulent act, Onyeabuchi Okafor and Jasmine Okekeagwu started transferring funds from Mr. Ibu’s public fundraising account to Onyeabuchi Daniel Okafor’s personal bank, with forensic analysis of their illicit financial dealing establishing that a total of fifty-five million naira (N55m) had been successfully and criminally transferred prior to their arrest and investigation.

“Investigation also unearthed text messages via WhatsApp between Jasmine and Daniel Okafor, detailing stage-by-stage how they conspired and hatched their criminal plans. It was also established that the two suspects, Jasmine Chioma Okekeagwu and Onyeabuchi Daniel Okafor, had a sham marriage at the Ikoyi Marriage Registry with plans to escape from the country to the UK, where they intended to settle with their proceeds of crime. They already applied for a UK visa in furtherance of this plan prior to their arrest,” the statement added.

The police said the duo had both been charged at the Chief Magistrate Court 1, Yaba, in Charge No. A/06/2024 for conspiracy and stealing.

Advertisement

The statement added, “During investigation, the stolen fifty-five million naira (N55m) was traced to the bank account of Onyeabuchi Daniel Okafor, wherein it was discovered that they had squandered a total of five million naira (N5m) on questionable transactions, while the balance total of fifty million (N50m) has been recovered from him.

“On the strength of evidence, Onyeabuchi Daniel Okafor and Jasmine Chioma Okekeagwu have been charged to the Chief Magistrate Court 1, Yaba, in Charge No. A/06/2024 for conspiracy and stealing.

“They were granted bail in the sum of N15m with two sureties in like sum, while the case was adjourned to March 11, 2024. Meanwhile, the case file has been forwarded to the Office of Director of Public Prosecutions for legal advice.”

The Ibu family had reportedly engaged in a feud as the thespian’s wife alleged that his adopted daughter, Jazmine, had hijacked the money donated by good-willing Nigerians to the actor.

In a lengthy post, the actor’s wife wrote in part, “Recently, there have been some malicious lies being peddled against me on social media as masterminded by Jazmine Chioma Okeke, who wants to make me an outsider in my own home, but God forbid. I will address Jazmine’s excessive interference in my family affairs and other related matters when the time is right. For now, my husband’s health is most important to me.

Advertisement

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Chike unveils third studio album ‘Son of Chike’

Published

on

Chike unveils third studio album ‘Son of Chike’

Nigerian music star Chike-Ezekpeazu Osebuka popularly known as Chike, has unveiled his third studio album titled ‘Son of Chike’.

The songwriter announced the project’s release on his social media pages on Friday.

The 12-track project follows the success of his debut album, ‘Boo of the Booless’ (2020), and his sophomore body of work, ‘The Brother’s Keeper’ (2022).

Speaking about the album, Chike described the project as a “celebration of his heritage and identity”.

Advertisement

He also said the body of work adds to the legacy of music and culture passed down from previous generations.

“I am Osebuka, the son of my father, and this album symbolizes and celebrates my heritage and identity as a #SonOfChike and my new musical offspring joining the ranks of those that came before,” he wrote.

The album features tracks such as ‘Unto You’, ‘Lifetime Love’, ‘Apple’, ‘Mma’, ‘Someone’, ‘Your Loss’, ‘Not Your Daddy’, ‘One Day’, ‘Balance Am’, and ‘Man Not God’.

It also includes earlier releases like ‘Ego Oyibo’ and the hit track ‘Egwu’, featuring the late Nigerian singer Mohbad.

The music star collaborated with other notable artistes on the album, including Olamide, Qing Madi, and Ladipoe.

Advertisement

Chike began his music career in 2015 with his participation in Project Fame.

He then became the first runner-up on The Voice of Nigeria in 2016.

He is currently signed to Brothers Records.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

“Make smart choices” – Tonto Dikeh offers alternatives to youths’ protest plans

Published

on

"Make smart choices" - Tonto Dikeh offers alternatives to youths' protest plans

Actress Tonto Dikeh has shared her perspective on the planned Nigerian youth protest scheduled from August 1 to 10.

While she fully acknowledges the right to protest and empathizes with the struggles stemming from the difficult economy, she believes there might be more effective ways to address the issues at hand.

Dikeh expressed her sadness over the rising cost of living, which makes it hard for citizens to manage their expenses despite working hard.

She recalled how the #EndSARS protest against police brutality in 2020 was ultimately derailed by those who caused damage, and suggested that a more constructive approach might be to form a representative group to engage directly with President Bola Tinubu.

Advertisement

She wrote, “Dear fellow Nigerian youths, I understand your frustrations about our nation’s current state. The price hikes and economic pressures are tough, and many are struggling with increased costs of commuting and living. However, a nationwide protest from August 1-10, 2024, might not be the most effective method right now. This isn’t to undermine the power of protests but to suggest a more strategic approach.

“Instead of protests, I recommend forming a representative group to formally communicate with the President. This group can advocate on our behalf, request a meeting to discuss our concerns, and propose solutions. Engaging in meaningful dialogue and community development can lead to positive change and unity.

“The economic challenges affect us all, and addressing them through peaceful and diplomatic means could be more beneficial. Let’s unite and work towards a better Nigeria. I urge you to consider alternative ways to make your voices heard and to work towards a brighter future.”

She concluded with the caption: “Sometimes we can be right, but how we express ourselves matters. This is a heartfelt plea to all Nigerian youths—LET’S MAKE SMART CHOICES.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Cynthia Morgan blasts MAVINS over Rema’s smoking, Ayra Starr’s attire

Published

on

Popular Nigerian dancehall artiste, Cynthia Morgan has criticized MAVINS Record for their artiste Rema’s smoking habit and slammed female singer Ayra Starr for her outfit when meeting American actor Will Smith.

Morgan emphasized that life involves more than music and stage performances.

She also warned MAVINS Record about Rema’s cigar smoking, stating she would locate their office if anything happened to him.

Morgan wrote: “Meeting will smith dressed up like that? There is more to life than music and stage performances my dear @ayrastarr

Advertisement

“And that Rema wey they hold cigar wey he no sabi smoke. If anything happen to that boy mavins I go find una office.”

Ayra Starr recently had dinner with Hollywood star Will Smith in Rome following her impressive performance at Coldplay’s concert.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d