Connect with us

Crime

Toyin Abraham’s ex, Seun Egbegbe, regains freedom after four years in jail

Published

on

Nollywood film-maker and producer, Olajide Kareem, aka Seun Egbegbe, has regained his freedom after spending roughly three years and six months in prison.

He was incarcerated on February 10, 2017 after obtaining money by false pretences from no fewer than 40 bureau de change operators in different parts of Lagos from 2015 to 2017.

Egbegbe who was the boss of Ebony Production allegedly swindled the BDC operators out of the money by claiming that he had naira to change into foreign currencies and vice versa.

He had been arraigned by the police for a series of fraud involving N39,098,100, $90,000 and £12,550.

Advertisement

Egbegbe and one Oyekan Ayomide were first arraigned on February 10, 2017, before Justice Oluremi Oguntoyinbo, on 36 counts bordering on advance fee fraud.

The charge sheet was subsequently amended twice, with the counts eventually increased to 40 and three other defendants – Lawal Kareem, Olalekan Yusuf and Muyideen Shoyombo – added.

The prosecuting counsel for the police, Innocent Anyigor, said Egbegbe and the other defendants acted contrary to Section 8 of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act 2006 and were liable to be punished under Section 1(3) of the same Act.

But now the Federal High Court, Ikoyi Lagos after reviewing his case has found Egbegbe; guilty of just one of the 44 Counts charges against him.

Egbegbe was set free yesterday 11th October 2022.

Advertisement

Justice Oluremi Oguntoyinbo declared that 43 of the 44 Count charges were crumbled because of lack of witnesses to substantiate their claims.

She also decried that the prosecuting team failed in the responsibility to produce evidence, to be backed with witnesses on Counts 4, 19 and 21.

Lamenting that police tampered with the money recovered from the suspects, Justice Oguntoyinbo also ruled that all the money recovered from Egbegbe as evidence should be returned to him.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Two Nollywood actors allegedly kidnapped

Published

on

Two prominent Nollywood actors and members of the Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN), Cynthia Okereke and Clemson Cornel, aka Agbogidi, have been reportedly abducted.

Director of Communications of the Actors Guild of Nigeria, Monalisa Chinda disclosed this to newsmen on Friday.

Chinda, in the statement, said that the actors were reported missing after their family members confirmed they have not come back from a film location at Ozalla Town, Enugu state.

“The two members were suspected of having been kidnapped, which has increased fear amongst members about the safety of actors filming in the country.

Advertisement

“Because of this sad development, the National President of the Guild, Ejezie Emeka Rollas, has instructed all Actors to avoid going to the outskirt of cities to film except full security cover is provided to ensure their safety,” the statement read.

Mr Rollas also expressed shock while urging the security agencies to speed up investigations that would lead to their safe rescue.

He equally appealed to all members to pray for the safe return of the actors.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Crime

Alleged Cyber Crime: Trial of Naira Marley stalled

Published

on

The trial of Nigerian singer Azeez Fashola a.k.a Naira Marley charged with cyber crime, was on Monday, stalled before a Federal Court Lagos, as the court did not sit.

The trial judge, Justice Nicholas Owiebo is said to be attending a judges’ conference..

Freelanews reports that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is prosecuting the defendant on charges bordering on cyber crime.

IThe anti-graft agency preferred the charges on May 14, 2019

Advertisement

Fashola, who sang the popular song: “Am I a yahoo boy”, was consequently, arraigned on May 20, 2019 before Justice Nicholas Oweibo, but he pleaded not guilty.

The court had accordingly, granted him bail in the sum of two million naira, with two sureties in like sum.

Trial has since commenced in the case and still ongoing.

On Oct. 6, Justice Oweibo had issued a warrant for production of the defendant, following his absence from trial on the last date .

Oweibo’s order, followed an application for production warrant by the prosecution, Mrs Bilikisu Buhari.

Advertisement

Freelanews recalls that the police in Lagos had detained Naira Marley and his associate, Sam Larry, in connection with death of Nigerian artiste, Oladimeji Aloba, popularly known as “Mohbad”.

At the last adjourned date on Oct. 30, defence counsel, Mr Olalekan Ojo (SAN) had informed the court that the defendant was still clearly absent from court inspite of the court’s order for his production.

The court had consequently, adjourned the case until Nov. 13 and 30 for cintinaution of trial

Trial will now continue on the next date Nov. 30.

According to the EFCC, the defendant committed the offences on different dates between Nov. 26, 2018 and Dec.11, 2018, as well as May 10, 2019.

Advertisement

The commission alleged that Fashola and his accomplices conspired to use different Access Bank ATM cards to defraud their victims.

It alleged that the defendant used a bank credit card issued to another person, in a bid to obtain fraudulent financial gains.

The EFCC also said that the defendant possessed counterfeit credit cards belonging to different people, with intent to defraud which amounted to theft.

The alleged offences contravene the provisions of Sections 1 23 (1) (b), 27 (1) and 33(9) of Cyber Crime (Prohibition) Prevention Act, 2015.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Crime

Ex-gang leader to get date for murder trial stemming from 1996 killing of Tupac Shakur

Published

on

A former Southern California street gang leader charged with killing rap icon Tupac Shakur in Las Vegas in 1996 is expected Tuesday to learn the date for his murder trial, probably next year.

Duane Keith “Keffe D” Davis won’t face the death penalty but could be sentenced to life in prison if he’s convicted of one of hip-hop’s most talked-about killings. He pleaded not guilty last Thursday and remains jailed in Las Vegas.

Davis, 60, is originally from Compton, California. He was arrested Sept. 29 outside a Las Vegas-area home where police served a search warrant July 17.

In recent years, Davis said in interviews and a 2019 tell-all memoir that he orchestrated the drive-by shooting that killed Shakur at age 25 and wounded rap music mogul Marion “Suge” Knight.

Advertisement

Knight, now 58, is serving 28 years in a California prison for the death of a Compton businessman in 2015.

Davis is the only person still alive who was in the vehicle from which shots were fired. He has also said he was diagnosed with cancer.

Prosecutors say the shooting followed clashes between rival East Coast and West Coast groups for dominance in the musical genre dubbed “gangsta rap.” The grand jury was told that Shakur was involved in a brawl at a Las Vegas Strip casino with Davis’ nephew, Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson, shortly before the shooting.

Anderson, then 22, denied involvement in Shakur’s killing. He died two years later in a shooting in Compton.

Davis implicated himself during multiple interviews and his memoir that described his life leading a Crips gang sect in Compton.

Advertisement

He wrote that he was promised immunity from prosecution in 2010 when he told authorities in Los Angeles what he knew about the fatal shootings of Shakur and rival rapper Christopher Wallace six months later in Los Angeles. Wallace was known as The Notorious B.I.G. or Biggie Smalls.

Shakur had five No. 1 albums, was nominated for six Grammy Awards and was inducted in 2017 into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. He received a posthumous star this year on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

A street near where Shakur lived in Oakland, California, in the 1990s was renamed last Friday in his honor.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

%d